Your NS obligations

Last updated 30 April 2024

What you need to know

  • If you’re a male Singapore citizen, you must serve National Service (NS).
  • If you’re a male Permanent Resident (PR), you must serve NS if you received PR status as a foreign student or under your parents’ sponsorship.
  • You must comply with your NS notices and Further Reporting Orders (FROs). If you fail to do so, you will be committing an offence under the Enlistment Act. You may be fined up to $10,000, jailed for up to 3 years, or both.

What you need to do

  • Keep track of your NS obligations via the OneNS web portal.
  • Follow the instructions in your NS notices and FROs.
  • Complete the pre-enlistment process, upload the relevant documents, and attend all your scheduled appointments.

What you must do from 13 years old

  • You must have a valid Exit Permit (EP) to remain overseas for 3 months or longer.
  • In some cases, you would also need to provide a bond.
  • You do not need an EP if you are overseas for less than 3 months

What you must do from 16.5 years old

  • Register for National Service (NS), and submit all necessary documentation.
  • Attend medical examinations.
  • Attend further medical reviews if you are asked to.
  • Follow all the instructions in your Further Reporting Orders (FROs), if you receive them.
  • Have a valid Exit Permit with bond to remain overseas for 3 months or longer.

What you must do when you receive an Enlistment Notice

  • Report for National Service (NS) enlistment.
  • Serve full-time NS.

What you must do after full-time National Service

Upon completing your full-time National Service (NS), you will become an operationally ready National Serviceman (NSman). You must:

  • Report for in-camp training when instructed. NSmen generally have to attend in-camp training once a year, for 10 years.
  • Report for service if mobilised.
  • Update your unit promptly of any change in particulars (such as contact number, mailing address, or next of kin).
  • Have a valid Exit Permit to remain overseas for 12 months or longer.
  • Pass the annual Individual Physical Proficiency Test (IPPT), if applicable.

Keeping track of your obligations

You will receive official notices and Further Reporting Orders (FROs) about your National Service (NS) obligations. These will be sent to your mailing address registered with the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA).

Examples of notices include:

  • Exit Permit Information Notice
  • NS Registration Notice
  • Enlistment Notice

FROs can be issued for activities such as:

  • Vocational Assessment
  • Medical appointments

For a personalised view of your pre-enlistee NS obligations, log in to the OneNS web portal. Visit the Central Manpower Base (CMPB) website for more information on offences.

Related articles